Sunday 23 September 2012

First day in college...



 கல்லூரின் முதல் நாள்

     It’s started with Morning Prayer, the very first day of my college.  Almost everyone in my row wore new dresses looks like Bouquet of flower. In my instruction slip, they have given the way how to reach Mathematics department? Yeah I have elected my stream as B.Sc (Mathematics). But mathematics மேல அந்த அளவுக்கு intrest இல்ல. Just I need a degree that’s it. Maths படிச்சா tuition கூட வைக்கலாம்னு எங்க அப்பா கூட வேல செய்யற teacher எல்லாம் சொன்னங்க போல (but, Maths degree முடிக்க நானே இரண்டு மூன்று tuition போவனும்). Maths Lecturer கூட வாய்ப்பு இருக்கு. சரி அந்த degree maths irukatumnu  எடுத்துடன். Instruction slip என்னக்கு print சரியா ஆகல. So that I have enquired a guy next to me.

 How can I reach Mathematics Department?
 He said, go straight and take left.
 I thanked him.
 I Left the Place, and started enter in to class room.

 My mother always says, வலது கால எடுத்து வச்சிட்டு class க்கு போ னு ஒரு அஞ்சு ஆரு தடவ சொல்லிருப்பாங்க . But I don't know which leg I used. So, I came out of the class and I used right leg, before others notices me.

 I entered to class; I find a place to sit. 
 I said, “Hello, I am Harish “to the guy next to me. 
 He replied, “This is barath".
 Professor enters into class,
 கைகள் வணங்கியபடி "காலை வணக்கம் " என்றார்.

 He introduces himself as Dr.Nallathambi HOD in Tamil. He Interested in Classic Tamil. He published 4 to 5 books. I am sitting on 3rd bench from the last row. In first two rows no one  sits.
So Nallathambi said,
"நண்பர் உங்கள் பேர் என்ன என்று என்னை பார்த்து கேட்டார்”? 
(Its purely a random pick)
(Later I come to know that, he used to call students by நண்பர் irrespective with their genders and age.)

 I said, "I am Harish".
"உங்கள் நண்பர்கோளுடு முதல் bench L அமரமுடியுமா? " என்று கேட்டார் முகத்தில் புன்னகயொடு.
அனைவரும் சென்று அமர்ந்தோம்

He has given some general talk, and it motivates me. Within 15 minutes of his speech I got Goosebumps. அவர் தமிழ் பேசற அழக பாத்து. I think I should have taken Tamil as my degree subject.

 He asked class to introduce, (nothing more you can expect on very first day)

A girl with specs from 1st row started her introduction. She said everything (father name, mother name and their sibling, etc) everything means she includes her favorite pet name too. Her 12th Standard marks too. 

(My Mind Voice: "OMG, shit I have to say my marks too. This is the toughest thing in a class that happens on very first day") 

Once she finished,
நல்லதம்பி சொன்னார், “உங்கள் பெயர்  மற்றும் நீங்கள் என்ன ஆக விருப்பம் ?. இது இருண்டு மட்டும் போதும்.” 

By this sentence, Nallathambi looks like life saver to me and he became a my favorite lecturer.
 (Some said teacher, lecturer, English professor, starting NGO, not decided yet etc., as they wish to be) 

 Meanwhile, I recited “I am Harish and I want to excel in Mathematics and I want to be mathematician" almost 6 to 7 times.

Next is my chance,
I stood up and said "I am Harish and I want to excel in Mathematics and I want to be mathematician".
Nallathambi gave me strange look. I can feel that, whole class watching me and they started to discuss.

Nallathambi said, “Then you should take B.Sc. Mathematics as degree”.
I said that “I am opted the stream as B.Sc Mathematics”.
Later I recognized that I am sitting in BA English Classroom.
 I excused Nallathambi and ran to reach mathematics class.

English Department and Mathematics department are located side by side with no sign board. (or sign board is not visible due to trees). Now I got, what the thing exactly happened to me.
அந்த பையன், சொல்லும் போது left னு சொல்லி right கை கமிசிடன்.
(I am thinking about how the mistake has happened... while running to mathematics department...)

I asked “Excuse me sir... May I come in?” to grey headed man.
(The whole class turned to me...)

Then grey headed Professor turned to me and said, "Yes come in ".
Professor asked me, “Are you Harish?
I answered him as "Yes Sir”.  

"I marked absent in the attendance sheet. To revert back the absence, either meets our HOD or Class Teacher" professor said.
“Yes sir" Myself. 

Only one seat available that is first bench left corner. No other option, to me I have to take that.

The guy next to me asked " எந்த ஊரு ?". In slow voice
(Because, generally students know how to speak in a class without being noticed by lecturer. It’s special quality.)

Me said" இதே ஊரு தான். வள்ளலார் நகர் ".
(I’m also blessed with that quality.)

He said," இதே ஊர்ல இருந்துகிட்டு பத்து நிமிஷம் class முடிகர்துக்கு முன்னாடி வரியே ? முதல் நாளே வா ?"
I haven't answered him.

(In Board full of theorem and axioms.)
 I asked him, "என்ன class? இதுனு கேட்டேன் ?."
(Just to confirm that, I am in correct class room).

அவன் "maths கிளாஸ் னு சொன்னான்"
(My Mind Voice: #@(*@#$@#@#()%*%)

 I asked patiently, "We are in B.sc Mathematics rite?
He replied me like this,
" எல்லாம் english எழுதி இருக்கரதால english class nu நினைசிட்டாய ?
நான் அதுக்கு அப்பறம் பேசவே இல்ல .

(My Mind Voice: How I am going to spend 3yrs by having this kind of guy next to me)
First period completes. (Sound of Bell) 
Lecturer left the class

Hi I am Harish”, I introduced myself to him.
What is good name?” I asked him.
He replied me as “Balan”.

(My Mind Voice: இந்த pondicherry arts and science college la எல்லாரும் பாலன் மாதிரி இருந்த எப்படி இருக்கும் ...)
I asked Balan "எந்த ஊரு?"  

I am from Coimbatore. I am staying on my sister’s house in Pondicherry.
(My Mind Voice: surely, I have used Left leg to enter into this class.)

(நீங்களே சொல்லுங்க முதல் நாளே இப்படினா ... இன்னும் என்ன என்ன நடக்க போகுதோ ....")

No comments:

Post a Comment