Sunday 23 September 2012

As an editor in 3M


As an Editor in 3M

Our Mathematics department had a lot of extracurricular activities for all the three years of students. Department, has monthly magazine designed by 1st year student. Mathematics clubs and association were organized by 2nd year. Generally 3rd year will be busy with their M.Sc. preparation and job search etc. Often they include in their participation in magazine and club. Each activity had faculty for responsible and so on. We are not aware that Mr.Vijayan is responsible for Magazine work.

After that incident, we stood out of the class then we gone to garden. I and Balan were discussing about recent movie. We did not notice that Vijayan seeing us. 

And  "I made you to stood outside to make you feel, not to give time speak about movie".
He came near to us and said “You both meet HOD, if you want to sit on my next class”. 
(My Mind Voice: shit … pochuda ).

“May I come in sir” me to HOD.
“Yes” HOD to me.
HOD said to us “yesterday we had small meeting about your class with Vijayan”.

Mr. Vijayan is a nice lecturer. He is good at pure mathematics you guys really disappointing Vijayan lot. He was travelling around 110 KM daily to this college. He completes syllabus on time. Easy to approach him for the doubt. He has great influence in various universities. Pure mathematics is subject you need patience more than skills; one has read lot for that. Just for 45 minutes class he will read around 4-5 hrs on various books and 1 hr for preparation. You guys not even to put his 10% of dedication. Its Govt. aided college; faculty can be of their wish. But still we are really working. Please, at least respect his dedication. Don’t repeat this. Don’t make that man to loose his self confidence.

By that word from my HOD I really felt bad. It’s like thorn that deeply entered to your heart. I will not feel bad, even they reduce my internals.

HOD said “You may go now”.

I and Balan left the place. I asked Balan” come we will go to Vijayan cabin for sorry”. Balan feels that it childish and he added “Sorry is good for nothing show the changes that enough”.
Balan left the place.

But my mind not allowed me to go. I felt guilty. So I had gone to his cabin for sorry. But he is not available at that time.

(On that night I didn’t get sleep up to 2AM, thinking about Vijayan how we wasted his class? A 43yr old Man, What is the need to work that much?)
On Very next day,

Vijayan asked that “Is there any volunteer to take care of Mathematics Monthly Magazine”?
Myself “Just I raised my hand”.

In spite Vijayan looked me in strange. But he was happy that I am also one among who raised hand in class. He has given me the chance for doing that magazine.



To be honest, I never seen any mathematics magazine before in my entire life. I want to put my best in this. From that point, I have learnt lot in my life. The thing which my school fail to teach.
  
I have changed the style of the magazine like, Last year magazine is like assignment booklet. Now this time I made into single A3 sheet, like folded type. I have gone through the previous issues of magazine around a year back. I made some of the column more visible, like giving biography about mathematicians in a page, is not readable not eye catchy. Hence I made into column type. 

After my incharge over in Mathematic monthly magazine, I have increased the number of copies which is sold. I had a plan to sell these copies in various college and schools.

So it made me to discuss often with Mr.Vijayan. He always happy with me and my changes.  I have reduced the subject level in the magazine. Every article which I selected, I make sure that understand level of reader’s etc. I followed lot of strategy in it. Even though it doesn’t carry about any marks, but I want to do this. Now I given a new title as mathematics monthly magazine as 3M, I increased the praise of 3M into Rs.15. 

Earlier, Editor has to write the whole document. But this year I collect the article from various mathematics students. One has to give only one article in a month. I and Mr.Vijayan selected the best and useful article for the readers. So only best out best is selected. It makes the student to follow the magazine.
  
3M makes me little famous in college. Even other dept. gets some ideas from me for their magazines.  It has given new recognition among lecturer, students etc.


No comments:

Post a Comment